Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Go out and preach....

(Written this afternoon on my Facebook notes)

"But you will recieve power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." --Acts 1:8


"Jesus commands us to go and then preach, not to preach and then leave. We are not to shout the gospel from a safe and respectable distance, and remain detached. We must open our lives enough to let people see that we, too, laugh, hurt and cry..." ~Rebecca Pippert


I read this on my devotional calendar this morning and it really caused me to take pause. I have been dealing with so many issues lately, that I have allowed them to consume me and I have not been effective for the Lord. Okay, let me be really honest here...the one issue that is glaring at me as I type this very "note", is this very forum (Facebook). I have been "preaching" from my chair and in front of a computer, yet I have not been going out and meeting people face to face. I have been hiding in a world of social networking and have allowed it to take the place of "going out". Now, don't get me wrong...I think the Lord can totally use the cyber world for His glory, but I have been using it to replace connecting face to face. Sometimes a cyber-hug just doesn't cut it, you know? I love reconnecting with friends and family from afar and this is a perfect forum for doing so, but I have no self control and spend more hours than I care to admit checking everyone's profiles, etc. How did I ever let this become an obsession with me? I have rationalized and hemmed and hawed when I KNEW the Holy Spirit was convicting me about this very issue, but I resisted.

Lord, You are so gracious, loving and merciful. You never bullied me into submission...You just patiently waited for me to come to the end of myself and, for whatever reason, today is that day... Help me to be productive for You and daily submit to You and the promptings of the Holy Spirit. All I can say is, here I am, Lord...send me...


"Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: "Whom shall I send, And who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me." --Isaiah 6:8

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment, Thelema. I'm wondering why you would think that Christianity is dead? I have not checked you blog yet, but I will. Perhaps we can dialogue... I would love to share the love of Jesus Christ with you...
    In His Love,
    ~ Patti~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti I love this truly honest blog. I have to be careful myself to not let the internet become an addition, but I do have to say you personaly have been a Godly example to me online. I love how quickly you respond to people who ask for prayer online and I found myself following your lead so thank you. I believe to everything there is a season and God can use us even when we don't realize it. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete