Monday, January 4, 2010

Raining Cats and Dogs...



"It's raining cats and dogs", as my grandmother would say. I can hear her "humphing" around the house as she shuffled across the floor in her slippers. She was a short, stout woman and, as she grew older, she rarely picked her feet off the ground and she made a "humph" noise when she moved. As a child, I never attributed this to anything but her being Grandma.  But today, as I am sitting in pain with my legs going numb and awaiting the results of the MRI done Saturday morning, I was reminded of those times when Grandma was "humphing" and I am now quite sure it was due to pain. Try as I might, I cannot recall a time when I heard her complain or mention she was in pain...(of course this was during my selfish, "it's all about me", part of my childhood). I just never gave it a second thought until today.  And now I am sitting with tears streaming down my face as I recall all the times she just kept going for my sister, brothers and me.  I don't think I ever thanked her for all she did for me as a child and young adult. I am still just as selfish as I was back then in so many ways and I am so, so sorry...

Today, Lord, You chose the pouring, relentless rain, coupled with my pain, to show me a side of my Grandma that I so wish I emulated... And as I am typing these words, the rain stopped, the sun peeked out for just a moment and a rainbow appeared to remind me of Your grace, love and mercy...and the cloud over my heart was lifted.

"It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud"
~Genesis 9:14 NKJV~

No comments:

Post a Comment